MedSci Prizes and Awards
Physiological Society of NZ (PSNZ) Awards
1. New and Emerging Researcher prize - This prize is awarded annually for outstanding research by a post-doctoral fellow, research fellow, assistant research fellow, or early career academic staff member who are within 8 years of completion of PhD. At the time of abstract submission, you will need to indicate whether you want your abstract to be considered for the New and Emerging Researcher prize. Please send an updated CV to Rajesh Katare, (firstname.lastname@example.org) (PSNZ Secretary) by 19th July, 2019. Details can be downloaded here.
The winner of this prize will also be invited to present their work at the Australian Physiological Society (AuPS) meeting in the following year (2020), travel costs will be supported.
2. John Hubbard Award [for excellence in studies towards a PhD] – Please send applications to Rajesh Katare (email@example.com) (PSNZ Secretary) by 19th July, 2019. Details can be downloaded here.
3. Mary Bullivant Oral Presentation Prize [all student members] – The prize is awarded annually for the Best Student Presentation at the Society’s Annual Scientific Meeting. At the time of abstract submission you will need to indicate whether you want to be considered for the prize. Details can be downloaded here.
4. Poster Prize [all student members] – At the time of abstract submission you will need to indicate whether you want to be considered for the prize. Details can be downloaded here.
5. Student Travel Grants - Please go here for further details and to apply.
NOTE: To compete for any prize, you must be a member of PSNZ, and have paid your 2019 membership fees. In addition, for those students competing for prizes, your supervisor must also be a member of the PSNZ in good standing for 2018 and 2019 (please contact the PSNZ treasurer, Rohit Ramachandra (firstname.lastname@example.org), to organise any arrears payments that might be required).
New Zealand Society of Endocrinology (NZSE) Awards
2. medi'Ray Best Student Presentation Award – all students who give an oral presentation and who are members of the NZSE will be eligible for this award Details can be downloaded here.
3. Emerging Researcher Award - recognises research and/or clinical excellence by an active member of the NZSE early in their career (within 6 years, taking into account career interruptions, of having obtained a higher degree or diploma i.e. PhD, MD, FRACP).
Eligibility: Society members who are within 6 years (taking into account career interruptions) of having obtained a higher degree or diploma (i.e. PhD, MD, FRACP) and who are currently financial (the applicant must have been a financial member of NZSE for at least 12 months at the time of application) are eligible to apply. The award will be made based on the applicant’s submitted statement of research and/or clinical achievements and career plans, curriculum vitae, and publications (with consideration given to career stage).
- The value of the award supported is $1000 and will be accompanied by a certificate of recognition.
- The deadline for applications is 1 May. No award will be made if none of the applications are deemed of sufficient merit.
- Applications should be addressed to the NZSE Secretary (email@example.com) and should include a statement of research and/or clinical achievements and career plans (200-300 words), and a curriculum vitae in standard New Zealand MSI format.
- The recipient of the award will be asked to give a featured oral presentation at the annual biomedical science (MedSci) meeting or the biennial Clinical Meeting, and the award formally presented at the conference dinner.